Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One man's trash is another man's treasure

How delightful! A friend of mine came by the house today to show me the literary gems that she found at the landfill. The LANDFILL?! Why yes; they recycle the books. If you are lucky you get to select your favourites before they are shredded. In her box she had a few that she thought I might like, and she was quite right.

I picked out Keep It Simple, Stupid by Judge Judy Sheindlin, The Allyn & Bacon Guide to Writing by Ramage, Bean and Johnson, Steven King’s Cujo and Creative Crafts and Stitchery from Better Homes and Gardens.

When I saw Judge Judy I was sold! I’ve seen her television court a few times and I love her simplistic, no-nonsense approach. It might not always seem kind, but she’s probably the best thing that has happened to many of those who have appeared before her. I think we all need a Judge Judy sometimes. Here is her ten rules for family harmony; each one the title to a chapter.

1 Living without benefit: If you call this commitment, you should be committed.
2 Tying the knot: Ten times measure, one time knot.
3 Married bliss: If life were fair, men would have stretch marks.
4 Kids happen: Having a baby is easy; being a parent is hard.
5 After the ball is over: Don’t get mad. Get out. Move on.
6 Tug of wars: Love your kids more than you hate each other.
7 The second time around: For better or forget about it.
8 The family bond: Honor your parents.
9 Till death do us in: Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
10 Keep it simple, stupid: You’re smarter than you look.

I think I’m going to enjoy this one! (And probably be reminded of all the times when I have over complicated matter s for myself, I’m sure.)

Guide to writing caused me to not have to think twice. This looks like it is a text book. I’m not really one for self study, so I would read it a book as any other. It covers the topics of rhetoric, composing and revising, research, special writing and speaking occasions and a guide to editing. Then it has writing projects for each chapter. I’m really hoping to learn something.

All work and no play makes for a dull boy (or girl should I say), so for fictional entertainment I’ve chosen Cujo by Stephen King. I’ve recently finished my first Stephen King novel. Although he is world famous I can’t say that it is a good enough reason for me to read someone’s work. I expected something high and lofty, but it was very creatively, imaginatively written in plain English. What a pleasure to discover. I think King’s imagination is what makes him such a renowned writer.

I love creating things with my hands, hence my choice of Creative Crafts and Stitchery. I crochet blankets and scarves. I’ve knitted a few scarves too. I like to make them as gifts. I would steer clear of the fashion statements though; they probably date back to nineteen voertsek. I can’t read a pattern to save my life, but the pictures are really good!

Thanks for the delightful gift, ol buddy, ol pal! Better be off then; have a bit of reading to do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi There...love the one about men and stretch marks...just isn't fair that they don't get them...or,at the very least, a few hot flushes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woman: we're wonderful creatures, aren't we; the things we endure ;) That book did not disappoint, granny 1947 :)

    ReplyDelete