Saturday, April 7, 2012

30 Days Honesty Blogging Dare - Catch-up (Day 7)

This 30 Days Honesty Blogging dare is hosted by Tom Baker. Pop on over and check out his blog, including a list of the other participants in this fun - and sometimes challenging - dare.



Day 7: I went to see a psychic, and was given the opportunity to ask three questions - I would ask...


Am I curious about what the future holds? For sure, I am! However, I also have to admit that there are some things that I honestly don't care to know. When I was younger I used to be a lot more curious. I would almost not rest if there was something that I felt I just had to know. Eventually, more often than not, I would regret finding it out. Only problem would be then that you cannot "un-know" - not that there is such a word, but you know what I mean. Whichever word you use, you would then be stuck with knowledge that you wish you rather didn't have. Eventually it helped me to learn to sometimes not even bother pursuing finding out. I found that my life was a lot more peaceful that way and I was able to adopt more of a cross the bridge when you get there approach.


Another thing I discovered is that - if I tried to figure it out - I was spending ridiculous amounts of time and energy imagining all the different possible scenarios and trying to live in a space that has not yet arrived, and I would miss out on all of the present - time that I could never have back - and then to discover that perhaps none of my imaginings were the real situation once I did arrive at the 'bridge'. What an even greater waste!

As curious as I am about the future, I think that it is wrong to consult psychics, fortune tellers, etc. - call them what you want. As a Christian who looks to the Bible as my manual for life, God clearly says that He has a problem with us consulting people like this, and He clearly says that, as a child of God, the righteous shall live by faith. We are free to ask God about the future, and He will choose whether or not He wants to give us any inkling or not, but in the end it is impossible to please Him without faith and He will never tell us so much that we don't need to depend on Him.

I remember an experience I had once; I had just been dumped by the man whom I thought was the love of my life and I was heartbroken and wondering what was going to become of my life now - I thought I knew how it was going to play out, and it had gone completely, way out south on me. Of course I asked God, What now, Lord? I was walking in the mall when a woman came walking right up to me - not knowing me from a bar of soap - and asking me if she could read my palm. She scared the hell out of me and I immediately put my hands behind my back as I told her a very clear 'no'. As much as I wanted to know my future in that time of my life - as much as I wanted to know that everything was going to be alright; that I was going to be alright, meet someone new and live happily ever after - I knew that I knew that her suggestion was not the way to go.

I do believe that words have power (and not just the good words). I wonder whether people believe what they are told so much that they actually subconsciously act to make the words spoken over them come to pass. Then they attribute it to the psychic having been right in their prediction. Faith is a mighty powerful thing. What do you put yours in?

I still want to have a great life, but I also know that I want to be front and center in God's will for me. There it will be great; there it will be God, and He says that He knows the plans that He has for me and it is plans for good (not evil) so that I may have a hope and a future.

I do wonder sometimes though if I'll ever experience pregnancy and have children of my own, will the dreams that are in my heart come to fulfillment or am I just an idealistic dreamer, and if it's not meant for me, then why won't these questions leave my heart?

But consult a psychic... I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment