Monday, April 16, 2012

30 Days Honesty Blogging Dare - Day 16

This 30 Days Honesty Blogging dare is hosted by Tom Baker. Pop on over and check out his blog, including a list of the other participants in this fun - and sometimes challenging - dare.


Day 16: I've just been granted the power of resurrection but I can only use it to bring back one dead celebrity. I would bring back ___________ because...


I remember the morning that I woke with the news reader announcing on the radio that Michael Jackson was dead. Geez, what a way to wake up? I remember wondering whether he couldn't use a better word as supposed to dead. It sounded so cold, so heartless, so final. Then again, death is final, isn't it? (For life on earth anyway.)

Perhaps in the prime of his life...
The news of his death bothered me for about two weeks. For some reason I felt so sad for the tragedy. One would swear that I knew the man. I didn't. It felt tragic to me, even though many others would disagree based on the life that he lived.

I've read Michael Jackson's biography. I don't know why, but my heart broke for him. I felt such a strong sense of compassion. Whatever went wrong with him never seemed to ever go right again. I felt sad that he never accepted himself and all of his fame and money didn't change a thing. In fact, it got him into deeper trouble. He was like a man who seemed like he could never get past the loss of his childhood; as if he mourned it, tried to recreate it all of his life. Despite all his success and wealth (for the time that he had it anyway), I wouldn't have wanted his life.

However, he was trying to make some kind of come-back just before he died. I think I would have liked to see him at least try. He didn't make a whole lot of wise decisions throughout his life, and in some ways he didn't seem to learn from his mistakes, but I think he deserved a chance to try and redeem himself; he seemed to want to make the effort and it felt to me like it was snatched away.

One thing is for sure: he was a very talented and phenomenal artist and regardless of his personal life, I'm still a fan of his creative ability and imagination. Pity that - just like many other celebrities - his gift was greater than his character.

No comments:

Post a Comment