Sunday, April 15, 2012

30 Days Honesty Blogging Dare - Day 15

This 30 Days Honesty Blogging Dare is hosted by Tom Baker. Hop along over and check out his blog, including a list of the other participants in this fun - and sometimes challenging - dare.


Day 15: Given the choice between infinite time or infinite money, I would choose...


Hmm... infinite time... I take it that would refer to infinity on the earth? In that case I'd have to go for the money. In reality I believe that I will live forever - not on the earth, but no matter what happens - with Jesus in eternity. It is one of the promises that God makes to every child of His. However, I could think of a few things that I'd like to do with money while I'm on this planet. You see, I won't need any money where I'll be living forever, so I'll have that now, thank you very much.


Having lots of money is sometimes a bit scary for me. I think it is a big responsibility and that we should be good stewards of that which we are entrusted with. On the other hand I think having lots of money is also empowering. Nothing on the earth is really free, is it? 

If I had lots of money there are definitely some things that I would do for myself. I'm not going to pretend that I'll have nothing, or bottom of the range, while selflessly helping others in need. Who would I be kidding, anyway? For sure I would like to have a nice, homey, home. Not necessarily a mansion, but a place where I like to be, and where I feel safe when life gets hard. I would certainly like a nice garden, and I might need someone to keep it for me, because heaven knows, I only have a green thumb for weeds. I would like to see the world and travel, but I would like to have someone to share it with. What's the point if you have no one to tell how awesome you thought something was. I would just like to do what I need to - and some of what I want to - when I need to: regular visits to the hair dresser, a warm coat if I need one, or the right clothing for that winter ski holiday, or new tires for my car when they are due. I might not feel such a need to save or invest, seeing as the deal is infinite money. I'd like to eat healthy and always have fresh flowers in the house. And I'd like to have a nice - good quality bicycle to ride. I love cycling.

Please don't give me hundreds of pairs of shoes to have to choose from before getting dressed every day, or I'll never leave the house. Neither do I need lots of gold and diamonds. I'm a simple girl, but if I'm going to get something, I like it tasteful and stylish - the option that I really want, and not the one I have to have because I can't afford choice. 

I think if you had infinite money and all you thought about, was yourself, then I think you'll either get really bored, or in really deep trouble, really quickly. 

I would like to be able to help people; to meet needs if I knew about them without having to take food out of my own mouth or that of my family. Just this week I listened to a lady tell me through her tears how she is unable to afford a winter school uniform for her son. The seasons is changing and it is becoming cool in the morning. He is the only boy who does not have a warm uniform and he asks his mommy 'why?' She asked me how she is supposed to answer her nine year old son? How does she deal with being unable to meet her son's need, no matter how badly she wants to? Her story broke my heart. I want to take them shopping and make sure that he doesn't have to be cold. 

Equally have I been hungry before and it stirs my heart when I see others who are hungry. I know what it is like to be cold and have only one jersey to my name, or one blanket and it is not enough. I know what it is like to run out of gas, and to be too embarrassed to tell the truth, so you make up a lie. I also know that there are people who have experienced far worse poverty and need and disaster than I have. I think of those who have been diagnosed with illnesses and can't afford medical help. Those who so desperately want to have a baby and can't afford any alternative assistance / procedures. Those who work really hard and then can't afford to go to university/college, those who lose everything that perhaps they've worked for all their lives in ten minutes flat due to flood, tornado or other natural disasters. Those who don't have clean water to drink and have to walk miles for it - and then it is not even warm on a freezing winters night or morning. Those who have lost a loved one and can't afford to give them a proper burial. There is so much need in this world. I'm sure I've not even covered the whole tip of the ice berg.

If I had infinite money I would have liked to never become proud or haughty - to think that I'm somehow better for something that I didn't deserve to begin with. Money can do a lot, but it can't buy character or love. May I never be as foolish as to think that it does - not even for a moment - but if you think that you're going to be my "friend" because I'm rolling in it, then you've got another thing coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment